Department: Athletics and Fitness Centre
Salary Range: $27.09 – $33.86 / hr
Posting Date: February 24, 2021
Hours per week: up to 24 hours per week
Status: Contract (Part-Time)
THIS IS A CONTRACT (PART-TIME) POSITION that renews annually.
This offer of employment is conditional upon there being sufficient availability of work to warrant this employment. In circumstances where there is not, which decision is at the sole discretion of the college, then there is no employment offer and no employment agreement. In this situation no compensation or obligations will be provided. The College will inform you at least one week prior to the schedule start date to advise whether there is sufficient availability of work.
Reporting to the Manager, Athletics and Fitness Centre and working closely with the Intercollegiate Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible for the organization, development and implementation of a post-secondary Men’s Basketball program. As well, the candidate must possess values consistent with the standards of Georgian College in developing academically sound student athletes while establishing a competitive Varsity Men’s Basketball program. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Planning, organizing, and administering a competitive Men’s Varsity Basketball program
• Developing and implementing an annual training program that will maximize player and team development
• Travelling with the team and providing supervision to student-athletes on all road trips
• Identification and recruitment of quality student-athletes
• Organizing and delivering a high school boys’ basketball tournaments and clinics in collaboration with the athletic staff
• Supporting and promoting a positive learning environment to achieve the academic goals of our student athletes
• Establishing positive relationships and effective communication with student athletes, peers, administrators and the basketball community
• Complying with Georgian College, Ontario Colleges Athletic Association (OCAA), and the Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) policy and procedures
• Continuous development on latest basketball coaching techniques
General Aspects of the Program:
• Georgian competes within the OCAA league and also plays an exhibition schedule of tournaments (approximately 30 total games)
• The competitive season begins in mid-August and runs through February, with Provincial Championships in late February and National Championships in early March. The team practices three to four times a week (2 hours/practice)
• A team athletic therapist as appointed by Georgian will be present at practices and tournaments, and support personnel must include a minimum of 2 assistant coaches as appointed by the head coach in consultation with the Athletics Department
• Post-secondary diploma or degree
• Successful completion of the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) Train to Train / Level 2 coaching certification or equivalent status
• Must possess, and maintain, current First Aid, CPR and AED certifications
• Proven coaching experience, preferably at the senior high, club or post-secondary level
• Excellent communication, motivation and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work non-traditional hours (evenings & weekends)
• Access to dependable transportation to attend events as required
• Support the monitoring of the academic advising program that will assist with student athlete retention
• Must provide a clear police background check
Georgian College supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. Georgian College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and workplace. If you are contacted to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise the interview coordinator of any accommodations needed with respect to any materials or processes used to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process.
Applications for this position must be received by 11:59 p.m. on March 12, 2021. While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.
We are equal opportunity employers